February 9, 2011

if what i've posted before was random, well this is all over the place

how's that for a weird title?

so these are the things that have popped into my head in the last few hours... (and if you read my facebook profile today, you'll know that i'm prone to chasing squirrels).

♣ i love character map in Windows. can you tell? all those cool symbols you wouldn't find otherwise.

♣ i don't like Poptarts, but i do like the edges. my daughter doesn't like the edges. that works out well, don't you think?

♣ although i'm stuck on my 3rd draft and have some major timeline work to do, if i don't write something soon, i'll go crazy. packing boxes for moving is dull-ifying my brain. is that a word?

♣ when i write for myself, i feel like i'm letting down the readers who are waiting for Black Heart. i *should* be working on my revisions. sometimes my brain just needs to play. good thing i don't write to a publisher's deadline. the pressure would be horrible for me. i put enough pressure on myself as it is.

♣ i eat lunch at 11 every day, instead of noon. breakfast doesn't last that long, but then i don't eat huge breakfasts. i wonder if that will change when i start doing ranch-type chores in Montana.

♣ we've been sharing one bathroom amongst 5 people for over a week while the front bathroom gets a major overhaul. i think it will be over in a few days. it's been interesting.

♣ i wish i could buy a copy of every book written by my new writing/blogging friends, even the ones whose blogs i don't visit often. i want to support new authors. sadly, even if i bought the e-book versions, i wouldn't have enough money, and i know i wouldn't have the time to give each one the attention it deserves.

♣ on the other hand, what do you do when an author gives you a free book and you don't want to read it because the writing doesn't grab you or it's not a genre you like, but they want a review?

♣ i looked at all the blogs i follow and though i don't follow as many as Alex (i think he's up to over 500 now), i still don't have time to read them all, let alone make comments. i was thinking about not following a few today, but couldn't decide which ones. and not following feels like letting them down somehow. i need to get over that. who's going to know?

♣ my counter reached 3500 today. i think it's cool that people keep coming back, and that i get new visitors every day.

♣ time to go write some short fiction... except that my fiction is never short. i think my longest short story was 50,000 words and my shortest was 11,000. guess i'll go start a novella, or at least start one. maybe it will get my brain kickstarted to work on Black Heart.

6 comments:

Susan Gourley/Kelley said...

I like the ENTIRE poptart, unfortunately. I know what you mean about the time needed to visit so many blogs. I try to get to 20 or 30 a day. I manage on weekends but seldom during the week or I wouldn't get any writing done.

Abby Annis said...

Five people, one bathroom? You have my sympathy. ;)

Good luck with Black Heart!

Unknown said...

I don't know how Alex is doing it either, tbh. I like your title, though.

I find it hard writing short as well. My imagination always goes on and on and on and so on. That's a tricky one.
Nahno ∗ McLein

Kate Evangelista said...

Congratulations! Reads, Reviews, Recommends has chosen you for the One Lovely Blog Award: http://kateevangelistarandr.blogspot.com/2011/02/one-lovely-blog-award.html

Anonymous said...

I write the same kind of 'short stories', don't even get me started on Flash Fiction. Ugh!

I say be honest with the person who gave you the free book. Like with people, sometimes we're just not that into a book.

I try to keep my blog posts short for that very reason, people who don't have much time, but are kind enough to click by.

I can eat a Poptart any time of day. Love 'em.

Unknown said...

I have to admit I've never been a Poptart girl myself. And, like you, I go crazy when I'm not actively writing. Editing is all fine and well, but my soul craves that creative rush.