April 27, 2011

A-Z - writing


now there's a surprise. i've been collecting quotes about writing for several years now. these are some of my favorites.

I can't write five words but that I can change seven. ~Dorothy Parker

Books are never finished, they are merely abandoned. ~Oscar Wilde

Writing a book is a long, exhausting struggle, like a long bout of some painful illness. One would never undertake such a thing if one were not driven by some demon whom one can neither resist nor understand. ~George Orwell

It's nervous work. The state you need to write in is the state that others are paying large sums to get rid of. ~Shirley Hazzard

Being a writer is like having homework every night for the rest of your life. ~Lawrence Kasdan, screenwriter, Raiders of the Lost Ark, The Empire Strikes Back

those were awfully negative, maybe because i'm in the revision process and feel like i'll NEVER be finished. here are some that are more positive.

When a book leaves your hands, it belongs to God. He may use it to save a few souls or to try a few others, but I think that for the writer to worry is to take over God’s business. ~ Flannery O'Connor

If you have a story, then tell it. I always believe it's not just about us. It's about the fact that someone in the world needs to hear what we have to say, and we are letting them down if we don't write it. ~ from No Plot, No Problem

You fail only if you stop writing. ~ Ray Bradbury

When we share the art that’s in our hearts, our soul sings. ~ Lisa Guerin, artist, teacher

for more, you can go to my writing quote page. i also saw that VR Barkowski has a post with writing quotes today.

3 comments:

February Grace said...

Ahh, I love those quotes, all of them even the 'negatives'! And to see Chris Baty quoted (No Plot, no problem) just made my heart warm and fuzzy. You know, if not for that man, and NaNoWriMo I don't think I'd ever have written a novel. I wouldn't have believed enough in the power of my words. I am forever in his debt.

Hope you're having a great day, Michelle. Thanks again for another great post.

hugs
bru

Alex J. Cavanaugh said...

Merely abandoned - I like that description.

VR Barkowski said...

Great quotes and thank you so much for the shout-out, Michelle. :)

I love the Dorothy Parker line. That's me all over. I can't seem to stop editing. But it's the Ray Bradbury quote that inspires. I need to post it somewhere so I can see it every day.