December 10, 2009

it's been so long, i've forgotten how to play tag

blog tag that is. Christine at the Writer's Hole tagged me with a questionnaire. i'm supposed to tag some other writers or bloggers. i'll have to think about that. i'm lucky i even had the time to put this up. (ok, i was having writer's block again... or writer's avoidance... whatever!)

10 minutes later, and i just decided who to tag: Brenda Jackson, Nikole Hahn, Lauryn Abbott, Abby Annis, Michelle McClean, Sandi Greene, Lynn Rush, and KM Wilsher.

1. What's the last thing you wrote? What's the first thing you wrote that you still have?

Last thing - If you mean what I actually wrote, I think it was an email. If you meant story-wise, I would either say a scene in my sequel or a short story for me. First thing – a 2 sentence story from 1st grade that my mother saved.

2. Write poetry?
Only when I’m in a particular mood. I’m too wordy a person to really write poetry.

3. Angsty poetry?
No.

4. Favorite genre of writing?
My favorite to read is any kind of romance. My favorite to write is fantasy, with romantic elements. (I could say “fantasy romance” but that conjures all kinds of images that I’m not intending to conjure.)

5. Most annoying character you've ever created?
I’ve created a lot of characters, so let me narrow it down to Eldala – I think Stefan was my most annoying character. Very stubborn, prejudiced, and just plain bossy. But I liked him in the end.

6. Best Plot you've ever created?
A novella about a man who falls into a parallel world ruled by Amazon women who use men for breeding stock. It's called Zaria's Song.

7. Coolest Plot twist you've ever created?
The plot twist in Blackheart (the sequel to Eldala), but I can’t tell you or it will ruin it.

8. How often do you get writer's block?
Every time I sit down to write? No. In the first draft stage, it usually it comes after a marathon session of writing. My brain is too tired to come up with anything beyond my own name. In the 2nd draft stage, it comes after I’ve written a scene that took days to figure out. It takes me days to figure out the next scene.

9. Write fan fiction?
Actually, my son and I are working on fan fic of sorts – a story that takes place in the Star Wars world, but uses characters we’ve made up, plunged into the timeline a few years after Order 66.

10. Do you type or write by hand?
Type on my laptop. I’m so glad I’m not C. S. Lewis, hammering out the words on a typewriter, or Jane Austen using a quill and pen – or whatever she used. What would I do without cut and paste? Or the delete key? Writing by hand comes when I’m plotting and have no computer available, or when I’m journaling, or just need to vent on paper. I vent on paper a lot.

11. Do you save everything you write?
Yes. I never know when I might need it, plus I worked hard for those words. I’m not going to send them to word purgatory.

12. Do you ever go back to an idea after you've abandoned it?
I don't think I've ever abandoned a story. They're just waiting for me to write them.

13. What's your favorite thing you've ever written?
The short story I just wrote for myself that I can’t share under my real name.

14. What's everyone else's favorite story that you've written?
Eldala because it’s the only one they’ve read, but most people say they can’t put it down.

15. Ever written romance or angsty teen drama?
I don’t write anything *but* romance. No teen drama.

16. What's your favorite setting for your characters?
Kristal would say that it’s taking them for walks. I do that a lot. But my favorite places are the beach and in a garden.

17. How many writing projects are you working on right now?
Two. But there are several others in various stages of editing.

18. Have you ever won an award for your writing?
No. But I’ve entered 3 contests.

19. What are your five favorite words?
I love words. How could I have a favorite? Ok. I’ll try.
Persnickety. Perspicacious. Fiddlesticks. Mafingo (my daughter's way of saying Flamingo when she was young. Joe (my husband).

20. What character have you created that is most like yourself?
Kieran, Jessa, and Tiana all have parts of me – all trying to avoid walking in who they were meant to be.

21. Where do you get ideas for your characters?
Who knows. But I get story ideas when I see certain pictures.

22. Do you ever write based on your dreams?
Not that I know of.

23. Do you favor happy endings?
Of course. I don’t write tragedies.

24. Are you concerned with spelling and grammar as you write?
I hardly ever misspell anything. Mis-typing bothers me so much that I go back and fix it, even if it’s a first draft. And grammar. Bad grammar annoys me. If you need someone to edit spelling and grammar, I'm your girl.

25. Does music help you write?
Sometimes. I used very sad music to write the scene where one character thinks another character is dead. I was balling.

26. Quote something you've written. Whatever pops into your head.
A song stopped Zaria Mandalay in her tracks.

2 comments:

Nighfala said...

Hmmm, let me guess why you can't publish that short story under your own name, Michelle! LOL!!!

Thanks so much for doing this. And I'm such a geek I even know what Order 66 is, though it did take me a minute. At first I thought it was a subgroup of the Jedi Order.

And yes, the whole "romantic fantasy" genre thing is sticky! Technically that is what mine is, too, but it's not what people think.

Abby Annis said...

Love the Q&A! :) I'm a spelling and grammar freak, too. It drives me crazy if I know something is wrong, and I am compelled to fix it.

And now I'm curious about that short story. ;)

I'll put up my post next week. Thanks for thinking of me. :)