February 4, 2009

garbage?

to my fellow writers.... do you ever feel like what you're writing is garbage? i know i do - on a regular basis, usually once a week, sometimes more depending on hormones.

we are not alone. an author i greatly admire sometimes thought his work was garbage, too. but he kept writing and i'm so glad he did. here is his take on writing.

"What you want is practice, practice, practice. It doesn't matter what we write (at least this is my view) at our age, so long as we write continually as well as we can. I feel that every time I write a page either of prose or of verse, with real effort, even if it's thrown into the fire the next minute, I am so much further on."

do you know who said this?





C. S. Lewis.

if he thought his stuff was sometimes worthy of the fire, then there's hope for me.

No comments: