June 18, 2013

five things that make me happy meme

i haven't blogged since the last IWSG, so when i saw Donna Hole's meme on 5 things that make me happy, i thought i'd play along. i'm trying to put more positive in my life. (my daughter even put a note on the fridge that says, "Mom, be positive." it's right under the note she put up there months ago that says, "Mom - daily chocolate." what a girl!)

a lot of things make me happy, but i'll put up the 5 most current...

1. the phone call i got from my 17 year old son last night. he's been staying with his grandparents, helping with construction. it's the first time he's been away from home. one week down and two to go before we pick him up. i know he's missing home, and we're missing him, but he sounded cheerful. that alone made me smile. as did his lengthy conversations with his siblings.

2. a new Mary Connealy book to read, called A Bride for All Seasons. it's a collection of short stories, and also has a story in it by Robin Lee Hatcher, one of my other favorite authors.

3. the last book i read, called Stealing the Preacher by Karen Witemeyer. she's a new author in my favorites list. the writing was some of the best i've ever read.

4. watching a butterfly in my emerging wildflower garden. we don't see many butterflies up where i live and this one was a bright yellow swallowtail, one of my favorites. after i watered the flowers, it landed in the mud to get a drink. i watched it for several minutes.

5. the wild irises in my front yard. we have a small patch of aspens and the irises are growing among them. there must be a hundred of them, all showing off their whitish-purple blooms. just lovely.

this isn't one of those memes where you have to be tagged to play along, or at least i'm not doing it that way. if you have 5 happy things in your life and you want to post about them, let me know so i can read your happy list.

5 comments:

Alex J. Cavanaugh said...

That is really nice of your son to help his grandparents. He'll be home soon, mom!

Donetta said...

Good Morning
It is wonderful to imagine your face smiling at those iris.
I hope your day is just fun, play and smile. Dance a while too.
D

dolorah said...

Butterfly's make me smile too. I like it when I'm watering the yard and the birds all come down for a bath.

My son is away visiting his dad, and I love when he texts me just to say he misses me. My kids always know how to brighten my day.

Thanks for "playing along" Michelle. Loved your happy thoughts; don't fly away in your garden :)

.......dhole

Rachel Schieffelbein said...

That's great of your son to go help out. :)
Your gardens sound lovely! Maybe share some pictures? ;)

~Sia McKye~ said...

I love being outside on the ranch. Always something there to make me smile in appreciation and bring a sense of happiness and contentment.

Enjoyed reading your happys.

Sia McKye OVER COFFEE