January 4, 2010

another random post

♦ i've now been married for 23 years. my anniversary was 2 days ago. my husband was hunting. i know that sounds like he was neglecting me, but i was completely ok with him going (our hunting dog really needed the practise). to make it up to me, he said he'd take me anywhere i wanted to go (he would have done that anyway). so we're going out to dinner and then we're off to see the new Sherlock Holmes movie with Robert Downey, Jr.

♦ i tried to force myself to write the other day. that might work for some people, but it doesn't work for me. the more i tried to force myself, the more stressed i became and when i'm stressed, i really can't write. it's really a good thing i don't have a publisher telling me when i have to write or what i have to write. my children don't need their mother to be any more freaked out than she already is.

♦ despite how many times i've worked on it, the scene i'm currently writing is not going the way i want it to go. maybe it's time to ditch that scene and get the action into the story some other way. sigh. unfortunately, i write chronologically and until this scene is right, i can't move forward.

♦ yesterday, someone told me they were jealous that i was a writer. i said, "no, you're not. you have no idea what it's like." there are days i would do anything to not be a writer.

♦ to make my point: "Writing a book is a long, exhausting struggle, like a long bout of some painful illness. One would never undertake such a thing if one were not driven by some demon whom one can neither resist nor understand." ~ George Orwell

AND

♦ "It's nervous work. The state you need to write in is the state that others are paying large sums to get rid of." ~ Shirley Hazzard

♦ my nephew turns 26 today. i can hardly believe it. he was the ring bearer at my wedding and he was only 3. he was so cute (if you read this, Jeremy, sorry, but you were). now he has a job trading stocks. where did the time go?

♦ my youngest son will be 14 in two weeks. seems like i was just bringing him home from the hospital. in two years he'll be old enough to drive. again, where did the time go?

♦ i've been exploring new blogs lately, leaving comments, following, etc. i never realized how many blogging moms out there are writing and trying to get published. makes me glad (again) that i'm not trying to get published. the competition is fierce and i hate to compete with anyone.

8 comments:

Nighfala said...

1. I'm so brain-frazzled this morning I thought you said your nephew was trading socks.

2. I'm kind of in agreement with the not forcing myself to write thing, also. But not totally. I mean, I have so many other things to do that I can always find something else to do if I'm not in the mood. But I kind of wonder how good the writing will be if I'm totally not in the mood. Usually, whatever I write isn't great and has to be re-done anyway. So why not trade socks instead?

3. Don't even bring up the whole "other moms trying to get published" thing. There is a reason so many writers are alcoholics!

Michelle Gregory said...

you make me laugh. trading socks. i think i like that better too. i logged onto my computer so i could check my bank account and ended up here. that happens a lot.

Laurel Garver said...

Congrats on your anniversary. I have nieces and nephews ranging in age from 15 to 31, which makes me feel soooo old, but I was still in elementary school when I became an aunt, and delaying marriage and childbearing keeps me young today (my only child is 7, but I finished HS in 1986. You do the math. (-:)

Finding other bloggers is sure fun! As a matter of fact, I have a surprise for you over at my blog. Come on by!

Carolina M. Valdez Schneider said...

I followed you over from Laurel's Leaves...your blog appears to be very inspirational. Congrats on your publication in 2007. What a wonderful accomplishment. And happy anniversary--yet another accomplishment. Sometimes, I look back and wonder how my husband and I could possibly have been married for nearly 14 years already. It's mindboggling. The time just flies.

Shannon O'Donnell said...

I hopped over here from Laurel's blog - glad I did! I look forward to getting to know you! :)

www.shannonkodonnell.blogspot.com

Donetta said...

Happy Anniversary!
For Laurel
my youngest is 8 and I graduated in 1979...
Grand nieces and nephews only a year younger than my own. Last of eight am I.
Michelle get made at em' Tell those characters to get with it so you can move on to the next section hahah

Michelle Gregory said...

Laurel,
thanks for the award.

Carolina,
thanks for stopping by. time being married does fly. it's been a good 23 for us. congrats on making it to 14.

Shannon,
thanks. same here.

Donetta,
i wish that yelling at my characters would help. they're so uncooperative.

owo xD said...

Thanks you for following my blog!