October 15, 2008

whew! i don't have a split personality

but it sure feels like it.

i came across this article at Writer Interrupted about letting our characters flow through us - "To Halve and to Whole."

Christa Allan said, "Writing splits me in half. No, maybe even not half. It makes me two people. My writer-person and my world-person struggle to inhabit my body simultaneously."

what does it say about me when i have at least 8 stories going on in my head? no wonder i'm sometimes desperate to write. i have to get those people out of there before they take over.

this quote from Christa's website says it all: Writing is a socially acceptable form of schizophrenia. ~ E. L. Doctorow

and then i found this quote i'd forgotten i had: If I don't write to empty my mind, I go mad." ~ Lord Byron

2 comments:

Carradee said...

what does it say about me when i have at least 8 stories going on in my head? no wonder i'm sometimes desperate to write. i have to get those people out of there before they take over.

Oh, definitely. Hear, hear. Ditto. You know, all those I'm-the-same-if-not-worse little expressions.

At least I finished one novel's draft last week, and another one I know I currently lack the skill to write properly. That helps.

I don't know about you, but I have a worse problem. You really start wondering if something's wrong with you when you realize every single one of your stories involve someone who's been physically or psychologically abused somehow. :-/

Um, I checked the "look inside" for Eldala, and just to let you know… The naming put me off. Kieran was fine; I know that name. But then you get the more modern Elisa and then the really weird Jelcahd for no apparent reason, and it really tosses me out of the story. Thought you'd want to know. :-)

Christa Allan said...

I'm sometimes so blog-disabled, it's a wonder anything gets there at all. So, all that to explain why, months later, I'm just discovering this post!

Thanks for dropping by and welcome to multiple personality land!